Saturday, November 12, 2011

Apple Cranberry Olive Oil Cake

Last month, after reading Keropokman's Granny Smith Cranberry Olive Oil Cake, I immediately went into the kitchen to make this. It's a very simple stir-and-mix cake. Usually I prefer cakes using chiffon method, but this stir-and-mix cake turns out surprisingly good. It is moist and soft, not too dense. The apples and cranberries are a perfect match!





I have reduced the recipe by 1/3 to fit my 6 inch round tin.

Apple Cranberry Olive Oil Cake

Ingredients (makes one 6 inch round tin)

1/3 cup sugar (I use 70g)
1/3 cup olive oil (I use 80ml)
2 small eggs

1 cup granny smith (about 1 large apple, peeled, cored and diced)
1 cup plain flour (I use 130g)
2/3 tsp baking powder (use slightly more than 1/2 tsp)
1/3 tsp baking soda (use slightly more than 1/4 tsp)
1/3 teaspoon of salt (use slightly more than 1/4 tsp)

50g dried cranberries (I soak in water for a few minutes to soften, then pat dry)
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder

Method

1. In a large mixing bowl, add in sugar, olive oil and eggs. Whisk the mixture with a hand whisk until sugar dissolves and well-mixed.
2. Add in apples. Mix well.
3. Add in sifted flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add in dried cranberries and cinnamon powder. Mix well with a spatula. Do not overmix.
4. Pour the mixture into a lined and greased 6 inch cake tin.
5. Bake at preheated oven at 175 deg C for 30 minutes or until done. Poke a skewer into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, it's done. If not, give it another 5 to 10 minutes.

Recipe adapted from: Keropokman